Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Poverty and Youth Ministry

Ever wondered why the group sponsoring 30 Hour Famine in most churches are the youth? How about this, why are most mission trips to the poor and needy a function of the youth ministry? Because youth ministers are poor! :) Especially Methodist youth ministers. We can identify with those who are poor, needy, and starving.

Ok, so I'm being just a tad bit "over the top." But there is a point to be made here. My career in youth ministry started at a Baptist church, with me volunteering. When I first approached the church about my desire to be on staff, there was an almost immediate "called meeting" to make that happen. When I graduated college and expressed a desire to be made "full time staff" this was done almost as quickly, though the budget year was already well under way.

My first staff position at a Baptist church out of seminary was a great experience. The church was incredibly supportive, the pastor and I had a wonderful working relationship, and some great things happened in my life through that experience. This was also a church that made sure my salary and benefits were equal to my education and experience. I began serving that church in 2000 (eight years ago) and earned a full $14,000 more at that church at that time than I do now serving an United Methodist Church.

This is the second UMC congregation I have served as a Minister to Students. Perhaps I'm just crazy, but I feel a calling to help revive student ministry in these churches and contribute to stronger student ministry in the denomination as a whole. In both churches, I was surprised at the low salary being offered given my education and experience and the church's desire to have a vibrant ministry to students. In both cases I was told there would be "job reviews" after a period of six months, at which time the salary could be adjusted. At both churches the six months have come, review has been performed, ministry has been praised, and then.....I'm told the budget can't be adjusted "mid-stream."

I think I've learned my lesson! However, I continue to push the Staff Parish Committee at my current church to do the right thing, and provide a salary and benefit package that is adequate at the very least, and begins to move towards a 2008 "price tag" for my experience and education level, as well as the responsibilities involved.

In looking for information to support my "push," I typically have to rely upon Baptist research, since they are typically many years ahead of the UMC in ministry to students, and provisions for Student Ministry staff. But I was surprised to find the following "Epworth Document" at the YouthWorker Movement website. Very encouraging document, and something I would encourage any Minister to Students, Staff Parish member, or Clergy person to keep on file. Here is the link:

http://youthworkermovement.org/about/employment/job_advocacy/epworth_document_definitive_document_for_recommended_employment_standards/

I can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed in how differently I'm treated from a personnel standpoint at the two UMC churches where I've been on staff compared to my experiences on the staff of Southern Baptist churches. But I'm encouraged that a group from the UMC understands the problem and addresses it in such a "dead-on" manner. Perhaps this will be a difference maker in the minds of many people within our denomination.

1 comment:

revjimparsons said...

Mack - thanks for stopping by my blog and thanks for the link to the "Epworth Document". I'm going to take your suggestion and keep it on file.