Wednesday, May 7, 2008

An unexpected day of "sabbath"

Mondays are normally my day off from church. But I seldom actually take the entire day off. My wife(S) and I have a couple of business interests to help with finances. So besides my work as a Minister to Students, I run a very small business and have some investment property. So....Mondays are normally not a true day off!

Also, I have now begun a small group Bible study for 8th and 9th grade boys. Monday after school was the best available day for the guys, so it turns out Monday is now a day of ministry also for at least 3 hours, and more if I get conned into going to a meeting after, or wind up hanging out with the guys a little longer.

Now I don't want to confuse anyone and pretend to be a workaholic. Believe me, I am not! I enjoy my rest, sleep at least 6-8 hours daily (though not always at night...lol), and love to have time with my family. But, between my ministry position (always at least 40 hours per week), and the other business interests, I am involved in "occupational" stuff at least 60-70 hours weekly. I am fortunate to have a flexible schedule with all of the interests. I don't keep "normal" office hours at church, since so much of student ministry is either on a school campus, with students after school, or at the church after school and on weekends, especially Sunday. The business interests are done mostly at night, though some day-time work is involved most weeks, which is why Monday is rarely a "true" day off.

But yesterday was Tuesday! On Tuesdays I'm always at the office...at least in the afternoons. On Tuesdays I often have leadership meetings at the Jr. High. On Tuesdays I normally am getting ready for Wednesday Bible study and worship. Tuesdays, in other words, are busy. And they should be...it's the "first day" of my work week (Sunday actually is, since I'm "working" for the church, but Tuesday is when I start cranking up for all things that will lead up to the next Sunday).

But yesterday, the Tuesday that has just barely ended, was a day in which I actually did absolutely nothing! Unless you count time of rest, and time with family doing something. And I do :) I actually consider it to be HUGE! And I need more days like that. I slept in, woke up and played with my oldest daughter (K) for about 20 mins, then slept some more :) Woke up a little later, laid down beside my baby daughter (J), and "played" with her for around 20 mins. She's always the most playful and shows the most personality before lunch. And believe it or not, after making a couple of phone calls, eating a bowl of soup, and talking to my wife a bit....I actually went back to sleep! I have to elevate my left leg a lot right now, so I'm spending more time in bed or on the couch than usual....and today I took full advantage of that! :)

The afternoon was spent mostly with the girls, but I even fell asleep one more time while K and I were playing in her room. None of the naps were very long, but all of them were awesome! Like 3 power naps in one day! I never even called the office...lol. Just took the day off. The evening was equally enjoyable. I'm really not home a lot during the 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. time frame. Almost every day there is a council meeting, ministry stuff, or house stuff (that's another part-time job...we're building a house), that keeps me out after 5. But tonight, I was there....and I loved it! :)

I guess I lied about doing absolutely nothing today. I did leave the house around 9:30 p.m. to take care of the night time work for our small business. But by that time, I had truly had a full day of rest. A day of Sabbath.

And lest you think I sleep "too much"....it's nearly 5 a.m. and I haven't yet slept again :) Still up since coming in from the night-time work. And I probably will not sleep again until after midnight tonight (Wednesday). Though I will take the day off today because we are taking J to Children's Hospital for an important doctor's appointment. If you happen to read this blog today, please say a prayer for her, and for my wife....she's a little bit anxious about the day.

I'm trusting God for another blessed day, and actually feeling much better about this day after having a true day of Sabbath.

3 comments:

R D Mack said...

by the way...my wife's initial is "S"....I do not have wife(s)...was simply listing her initial, and upon reading my post, realized that it looks a little funny....suspicious even :)

And I'm using initials only to "protect the innocent". Perhaps in time I will feel more comfortable using full first names, but for now, this is my comfort level. Hope the initials don't create confusion for anyone who happens to read this blog page some day.

TN Rambler said...

by the way...my wife's initial is "S"....I do not have wife(s)...was simply listing her initial, and upon reading my post, realized that it looks a little funny....suspicious even :)


That's a relief. ;)

One thing that I've learned is that self-care is so very important in ministry... and much more so when you have something else going on to make ends meet. Take care of yourself so you can be there for your family and your students. Enjoy those Sabbath times.

Wayne

R D Mack said...

Wayne,

Thanks for being the first--other than yours truly--to post a comment on my blog.

I also appreciate the advice about taking care of self when in vocational ministry. I agree with you completely, and confess the need to do better in taking care of myself.